Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Feeling Hungry A New Feeling


   Yesterday, I had a very stressful day in school and I learned a great lesson that I thought I should share with you.  I also came to a great realization. I was very hungry so I decided that I was going to go get a sandwich to eat. I walked to the sandwich store and ordered my food. I gave the cashier my card, like usual, and I waited for him to give it back to me and say thank you. As he gave me the card he said “I’m sorry it was declined you only have $4 so it didn’t go through.” I began to panic not knowing what had happened. This morning I had money on my card. I felt a little embarrassed too because I had no money to pay for my food. I have never felt this overwhelmed in my life and so powerless. I called my bank and they told me that I had been charged a $30 maintenance fee this afternoon and that’s why my card was at $4. I was very upset because no one ever mentioned to me that I would get charged a fee. The lady on the phone told me that it was in small prints on the contract I had signed. The lady who made my contract told me that I didn’t have to worry about fees but I shouldn’t have believed her.  I didn’t read the print carefully and therefore I was put in a very uncomfortable situation.  I want to remind every single one of you to make sure you read every part of contracts that you sign but I also want to open up your eyes to something else.
 Money is very important in this society. If you do not have money you cannot eat or afford the luxuries of life such as a nice home to live in. I began to think about those who have to live every day with the reality that they do not have enough money for food. For the first time ever, I felt hungry and I didn’t have money to solve my problem. It was the worst feeling in the world and I realized that this is something that many people go through and that I’m very lucky.  I went home got money put it in my card and just like that I have the ability to get food and not feel hungry but what about those who aren’t as lucky as I? They won’t be able to go home and get money to get food because many of them don’t have a home. We need to realize that those of us who have never felt hunger haven’t faced the pain of real life problems like poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment